Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spaghetti Pomodoro

Get your twirl on!

If you've ever ordered from an inexpensive tourist menu at a restaurant in Italy, you've probably had spaghetti pomodoro, spaghetti in a light tomato sauce. It's a common primo piatto, or first course. The first time I had it was in Venice, last November. I've never liked spaghetti sauce, so I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed this dish. I asked Flavio how to make it, and this was the recipe he gave me. Of course this is just a basic method; there are endless variations. Flavio likes to add mozzarella, black olives, and cherry tomatoes. I think I would really enjoy it with sautéed mushrooms.

Spaghetti Pomodoro - serves 4
  • olive oil
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 28-oz. can peeled crushed tomatoes
  • basil (fresh is preffered, but dried is fine)
  • salt
  • spaghetti
Sautée onion in a little olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove onion, if desired. (The onion imparts a nice flavor to the olive oil. When I've had this dish in restaurants, the sauce has never had onion in it. I hate onion, so I remove it. Flavio would prefer to leave it in.) Add the crushed tomatoes and stir in basil and salt; cover. Stir occasionally (keeping the lid on the skillet between stirs). Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook and drain spaghetti. Stir pasta into sauce and serve. Buon appetito!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the pasta with mozzarella, olives etc, isn't spaghetti and it doesn't use sauce. Maybe you can write another recipe post for that :)

♥whitney said...

oh, I'm glad I misunderstood you, because I thought cherry tomatoes in a sauce sounded weird :P is it for a cold pasta? because I think that would be really good...