Sunday, March 8, 2009

Playing in the Kitchen

Today I had an unexpected day off. I started my day with a trip to the grocery store, where I bought a lovely bouquet full of my favorite springtime colors. For me, my perfect idea of spring is full of drizzly days and old movies and French music and anything that smells vaguely like lavender.

I also found these cute dishtowels on sale. They remind me a bit of a pie plate my mom has, which has a recipe for apple pie inside. I think they'll look sweet in our kitchen, which is (so far) looking to be a mish-mash of cottagy things, flowery things, and a lot of Starbucks mugs.

For dinner tonight, we made taco salad. I had a craving for this while I was at work on Thursday, and the real thing didn't disappoint. I found this recipe for baked taco salad bowls (so easy!), but otherwise this didn't require much more effort than just making tacos (which we do almost weekly in my house).

My cousin Aubree's birthday is on Thursday, so today we made some cookies for her. I think I got more sprinkles on the table than on the cookies! I hope she likes them anyway!

So that was how I spent my unexpected day off. Later this week, on my real days off, I'm going to be playing with my new mandolin slicer to make au gratin potatoes!

1 comment:

Lori Ann said...

Sounds like a fun day off!