Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blueberry Crumb Bars

Today I finally delivered on my nearly week-long promise to make the Blueberry Crumb Bars from Smitten Kitchen. Holy crap, why didn't I make these sooner?! The original recipe, from allrecipes.com, doesn't feature lemon...but truly, it's my favorite part of this recipe. I love the way fresh lemon makes my kitchen smell, and I also love the way the scent stays on my hands for hours afterward. Bonus? These really could not be easier to make unless they came from a boxed mix (and then they wouldn't taste nearly so wonderful!).
I went to the grocery store again this morning, when it wasn't so crowded, to really explore the new produce. Kumquats, lychees, four or five different kinds of bananas, baby pineapples, champagne grapes, rainbow chard, baby bok choy, Italian parsley (we really didn't have this before!), shallots (we didn't have these either!), white grapefruit, taro root, homegrown tomatoes, prickly pear, shiitake and chanterelle mushrooms...plus hummus and cannoli and fresh bagels and so many things! It's incredible.

3 comments:

Rayana said...

yum! making those bars this week :)

Lori Ann said...

Nice, how do they sell lychees in the states? I won't tell you how cheap they are here ;-)

♥whitney said...

The lychees were little hard brown things, like this.

I don't remember how expensive they were, but I do remember that the kumquats were almost $5/lb! Are lychees good? I've never had one. I'm thinking about buying some of the new produce next week, just to try it.