Thursday, October 9, 2008

Moratorium on Cake

my home's General Electric 1950s Automatic Oven (it's mustard yellow)

My poor old oven is on the fritz. It's probably just the heating element, which we've been told is pretty simple and inexpensive to replace. I'm hoping that we don't need to replace the whole oven, and not just because that's something we can't afford. As much as I complain about the oven sometimes (the calibration is way off, things go from 'golden' to 'black' in the blink of an eye, the light hasn't worked in years, etc.), I love the fact that it's original to the house! Other than the refrigerator and microwave, just about everything in the kitchen is 20+ years old. A new oven would look so strange and out-of-place. Also, I don't know how to bake in another oven!

A few months ago, my grandmother asked me to think of my favorite sounds. And one of them is the sound my oven makes when it's opened & closed. It's not a pretty sound...kind of a grating metal-on-metal, with a bit of a bang when it shuts. It reminds me of my childhood, coming home after school as my mom's pulling chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. Or any Thanksgiving. Or cinnamon rolls on a Sunday morning. I don't think I'm quite ready to let go of these memories yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you get a new camera? your pictures are amazing! have a safe and fun trip to italy if i don't talk to you before hand!

♥whitney said...

thanks, laura! I did get a new camera, back in may. it's still a kodak, but it's got 8.1mp (my old one only had 3.2mp). I really love it!