Monday, December 8, 2008

Have You Any Wool?

Berroco Peruvia (red, ivory, and blue) and Manos del Uruguay (green), wound into nests.

Last night while watching the first two Harry Potter movies, I wound up these four balls of wool with my nostepinne. Seriously folks, if you buy a lot of yarn in hanks but can't stand knitting from balls that roll around all over the place, consider buying a nostepinne. Personally, I love the handmade ones from Kari Welsh, but she's taking a break from making them right now and only has three left in her shop. Winding with a nostepinne takes longer than using a ballwinder & swift, but they're much cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to store. Plus, it's so tactile to wind yarn by hand...and what knitter doesn't love to touch their yarn?

Anyway, back to the yarn I bought yesterday. The red, ivory, and blue are all Berroco Peruvia, and the green is Manos del Uruguay. These are for Ysolda Teague's Last Minute Stockings. The red is for my stocking and the blue is for Flavio's. I wasn't really planning to knit a stocking for my mom, but I fell in love with that green Manos (one of the few hanks at Twist, which has stopped carrying Manos) and couldn't resist. The ivory is for the contrasting bits on all three stockings. I can't wait to knit these, but as I'm trying to concentrate on one project at a time these days, they'll have to wait until I finish the pair of Endpaper Mitts I'm knitting for my mom.

I've been a busy, busy knitter lately. It's nice to be knitting something other than toys and clothes for babies!

2 comments:

Lori Ann said...

I just bought some wool today! Sadly I don't have anything like what you use (how does it work??), so it's currently in a half-wound, half-tangle mess on the bed. *sigh*

♥whitney said...

A nostepinne is about as low-tech as it gets. You start by wrapping the 'core' around the shaft of the nostepinne. Then, you wrap around diagonally from the 'corners' to create a nest. Here is a tutorial video on youtube, and written instructions (with a few pictures) can be found here.