Sunday, December 14, 2008

O Tannenbaum Stocking


Last night I finished a Christmas stocking for my mom. Well, sort of. I still want to make a fabric liner for it and strengthen the hanging loop by sewing a ribbon to it, but I don't have a sewing machine and am not so keen on hand-sewing. I figure after I knit the stockings for myself and Flavio, maybe I can ask my grandmother to sew the linings for all three.

This stocking, one of the latest designs from Ysolda Teague, was knit with Manos Del Uruguay (in Jungle) and Berroco Peruvia (in Nougat). I used the tree motif for this stocking, and I'm going to try to find a green/red/ivory paisley print for the fabric lining. There were a couple of techniques in this pattern that were new to me--the figure-eight cast on, Japanese short row heel, and I-cord bind off--but Ysolda writes her patterns so clearly, and tutorials for all of these techniques can be easily found online, and in the end this was a very quick & easy project.

I'm taking a little break before knitting the other two stockings because the large needles (US 10) are very awkward to me, after using tiny dpns for so long. I spent today knitting a pretty little set of petit fours, using Jennifer's great (free!) pattern. But more about those tomorrow...

No comments: