Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Big Sticky Mess (But Oh So Yummy!)

As promised, today I baked smitten kitchen's Breakfast Apricot Crisp. Wow. Wow. I mean, really. It's that good. The crumble topping, especially. I'll definitely be making this again and experimenting with different fruits (blueberries? oh yeah!!). Some tips, though:
  1. In the recipe, she says to tear the apricots into quarters. This makes for some pretty big chunks! If you like that sort of thing, go for it. But I feel that the large chunks are a big reason why the crisp is so tart. Next time, I'll cut the apricots into significantly smaller pieces.
  2. The recipe calls for a pinch of nutmeg. Well, I couldn't find any nutmeg in the cupboard, so I used ground cinnamon instead. It came out of the shaker much faster than I expected, so there was more than a pinch. This turned out to be great, though, because it gave the crisp a beautiful smell.
  3. Maybe this is largely dependent on the type of dish you use (I used a 16-oz. capacity Corningware round dish) and your oven, but my crisp was burnt a bit on top after only 20 minutes. So keep an eye on this as it's baking!
  4. Definitely, definitely, definitely put your baking dish on a cookie sheet before sliding it into the oven. As with all crisps, cobblers, and pies, the filling will bubble over the edge and make a big sticky mess! For even easier cleanup, line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil first.


P.S. As per my previous post, I'm chucking my ballet flats. I've ordered a couple pairs of mary janes from OnlineShoes.com: the Sienna Mary Janes by Keen and the Carlisle Mary Janes by Born. The Keen shoes are supposed to be great for walking around town...one reviewer even mentioned that she wore them during her entire trip to Italy. How perfect, right?

Tomorrow I'm making pizza with feta, mushrooms, and black olives. It's my favorite! Until then, I'm off to watch High Society!

No comments: